Sunday, May 4, 2008

Mothers, My Mother


As I was thinking of Mother's Day, I decided to post some memories of my mother. (Also wish all you mothers out there a great Mother's Day)

Sometimes my earliest memories come mixed with things that I have been told. I remember when Mom and Dad would go 'honky tonkian'. Sometimes it would just be to the grocery store together. I have always thought Mom was an elite woman. She was a great organizer, to keep her busy household on track. She was a great teacher. She taught me to sew, care for a home, and gain a testimony. There was great love for family in our home. I think Mom was the center of a successful family. She kept us going and tried to keep us on track without dominerance. She showed love to all who entered her home. She loves her family a lot. I know she is going thru a trial that she never figured on, but is enduring and needs lots of encouragement.


I remember every Saturday we had to clean the house and do the laundry, doing all our chores before we could watch television, or play. We would each be assigned a room to clean... In the living room we would have to wax the floor on our hands and knees. We would hang out the laundry on the clothes line (no dryer). We would have to dust everything and in the kitchen wash the chairs and tables ... including the legs. When it came to ironing we would bring the laundry in off the clothes line, sprinkle the ironing with water, then roll up the clothes and put it in a bushel basket to stay wet so we could iron them. The hardest part was ironing Dad's starched white clothes. We would even iron the pillow cases. The house would be clean and then we would iron while watching television sometimes. I was so glad when they came out with polyester and dryers where we didn't have to iron so much!! I also remember several of us bathing in the same water on Saturday night, shining or polishing our shoes ... lining them all up and putting them on the front of the stove/heater in the living room, making sure our church clothes were all ironed ready to go on Sunday morning. Indeed we had a great Mother to help us accomplish all these chores each Saturday.


What do you remember?

No comments: