Friday, September 26, 2008

Elderberry Facts


Elderberry Fact

Elderberry is native to North America and Northern Europe but it is only the blue/black berried variety which is used for medicinal purposes, both the fruit and flower of the blue/black berried variety are used. The red berried variety is not used for medicinal purposes. It is the flavonoids in Elderberry which gives the plant it’s medicinal properties.

The berries are a very valuable food resource for many birds. Elders are used as food plants by the larvae of some Lepidoptera species including Brown-tail, Buff Ermine, Dot Moth, Emperor Moth, The Engrailed, Swallow-tailed Moth and The V-pug. The crushed foliage and immature fruit have a strong fetid smell.

I was curious on this Elderberry you wrote about, so I had to check it out! Very interesting, I too have never heard of such a berry! Thanks for sharing!

3 comments:

Danette said...

Hey do you have your template (whatever it's called) on minima on the layout page. I think your background only works with that font. So go to layout mark minima for template and then all the words should show up. I think everything else will then be on the right side.

Kent said...

I have never eaten elderberries. I have heard of them, but haven't experienced them. I'd like to give them a try.

Andrea said...

I want some elderberry pie!!! YUMMY!!!