Sunday, September 21, 2008

MEMORIES - ahh yes!

when I saw this car at the car show in Alamosa it reminded me of my Senior year in high school. You see I had one just like it which I drove to school. I paid for it from the money I earned thru the summer. It seems like I paid $600 for it if I remember correctly. We got it from the neighbors who lived behind us.
Then when I graduated I gave it to my brother, Warren to drive to school and purchased a 1961 yellow ford. Of course I was not old enough to have the title in my name, it was in Dad's name. the car I drove before this one was a Nash. One kid at school said it looked like a "red bathtub".


One day I was driving in my '57 Chevy to high school after early morning seminary down Dustin Street with my friend Diana in the car and noticed the back door was opened. So I pulled over to the side of the road while Diana got out to shut the door. there just so happen to be an elderly lady walking down the sidewalk where I stopped. As Diana opened to the door (to shut it properly) this lady got in the car! I looked at Diana and she looked at me, then I asked the lady where she was going. she told me just down the road a little! So we gave her a ride down Dustin stopping in a few blocks and let her out. Boy were we surprised at out unexpected guest!


Some times I think it would be nice to have that '57 Chevy again. Maybe that is why I'm so attached to my PT Cruiser. Then I saw another car at the car show. It reminded me of the stories I heard from Dad owning a Model A with a seat in back. I'm sure it wasn't red... but it gives you an idea of what it might look like. I was told they would drive it out on the river in the ice and have to push it to get it started. Remember Dad saying, whenever he drove it would say, "A gallon a gas, A gallon of gas", instead of put -put! It seemed lots of kids enjoyed riding with him. They would all pitch in to pay for the fuel to go places.
Do you remember any stories?


3 comments:

Kent said...

We should have gone with you to the car show!!

Your pictures are really nice and they bring back memories of the times we went to that car show when you lived in Alamosa.

Gloria said...

It would of been fun to have had you go.

Unknown said...

I rode in that car with the rumble seat, like the red one in the picture. The rumble seat was fun. Keith and Warren we very good friends. I went with them many times.